Monday, March 7, 2011

Recipes and More

I frequently get in a cooking rut of making the same dinners week after week.  I know if I am sick of the lack of variety I am sure my family is too.   So then I get motivated to pull out the ol' cookbooks looking for new interesting dinners that will statisfy my meat and potatoes husband, my super picky eater son and I will try anything daughter.  Oh, and it needs to sound good to me as well, plus I have to have most of the ingredients in the house.   I am usually pretty fortunate that something catches my eye and I have in the house what I need to create this new culinary masterpiece that my family will love.  Sometimes this new dish makes it into the rotation and sometimes it is not a "keeper".  "Keeper" is a phrase my dad coined when we were little whenever my mom made something new - he would say - "That's a Keeper", if he liked it and would like to eat it again. 
What I have noticed through all my years of thumbing thru cookbooks is that I like the pictures.   I like to see the end product.  I HATE cookbooks with no pictures.  I have to see what I am cooking is supposed to look like at the end.    So gradually over the last couple of years I have been looking online for recipes and and of course those wonderful glossy magazines - because they have such great pictures of the food and for some reason that motivates me more to try them.    My favorite new site that has recipes that my husband loves is The Pioneer Woman.   http://www.thepioneerwoman.com/   We have recently tried and loved her Meatloaf, Chicken Fried Steak and Banana Bread.   I would totally recommend it if you need some inspiration. 

Today though will be some left over chili, left from my entry in our church's Annual Chili Cookoff.  I have entered probably 5-7 times and the best I ever did was 3rd place.  Chili is a great winter food and I hope that this is the last time I make it this year until the fall. 

No comments:

Post a Comment